Ads!

Monday, February 21, 2011

DID 2nd Bn, 506th P.I.R. "Major Richard" Part 1

I was surfing the Internet when I found out that Major Dick Winters had passed away on the 2nd of Jan 2011.

He was the commander of Easy Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne Division. The exploits of the company in WW2 were made famous by the book and later, the HBO mini series "Band of Brothers".
In the series, Major Dick Winters was played by Damian Lewis.
Major Winters was a remarkable leader and soldier. He had guts and brains and took care of his men.
And yet he was very private and humble. When people asked whether he was a hero, he echoed the words of his World War II buddy, Mike Ranney: "No, but I served in a company of heroes."

After learning of his death, I immediately took out my DID Major Richard to do a toy review. This figure was supposed to portray Damian Lewis as Major Winters in the "Band of Brothers" mini series.
DID has given us the uniform and accessories to display Major Winters in 3 different ways. You can choose to display him in his jumpsuit (Operation Market Garden), what he wore during Bastogne or his dress uniform. Because of this, I have decided to break the review into 3 parts. This review will feature him in his dress unifrom.

Rest In Peace
Major Richard "Dick" D. Winters (January 21, 1918 – January 2, 2011)




The packaging is very similar to what DID has been offering. The front shows pictures of the figure while at the back you will see the picture of the accessories. Nice and simple.











This is where DID excels. The sculpting is seriously well done and captures the likeness of Damian Lewis perfectly. DID has been doing pretty great sculpts and at a much lower price point (as compared to Hot Toys). This is due to no extra cost for movie licenses hence the downside is that DID can't credit this figure to the mini series "Band of Brothers". But seriously for this kind of work at this price point, who is complaining. Not me.













The figure pretty much comes in his dress uniform. You can take him out of the packaging and display him straightaway. Just dont forget to tuck his pants into his boots.
One point to note, my dress uniform seem to be missing the Type 1 eagle patch which was supposed to be on his left arm. I can't seem to find it anywhere in the box.
The details on the uniform are good and it is very well made. It really fits the figure very well. I had every intention to display him this way but I really feel such a waste for all the accessories that came along with it.
The overseas or garrison cap looks nice on the figure but was a slight challenge putting it on the way it should be.

Hopefully, I will have the time to dress him up in the other 2 uniforms. But looking at the amount of accessories I have to put on him...it might take some time...
Right now he looks mighty fine displayed in his dress uniform.





























5 comments:

desmond said...

Bro, the likeness to the actor is good..worth the purchase if you like BAND OF BROTHERS...

Dennis aka Katsuden said...

Band of Brothers is so damn so and Major Winter is awesome and a figure of him is well tribute. Salute the man not the rank. I wonder if 'The Pacific' series is good?

Little Plastic Man said...

Hi Dennis, to me 'The Pacific' did not catch my attention and I did not follow the series after a few episode. BOB was way better!

Natee said...

jus wanna know how much is it???

Little Plastic Man said...

Hi...I got mine for around S$150

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails