Ads!

Saturday, August 11, 2012

Displaying my Vintage Star Wars



Recently when I was looking at my old vintage star wars figures, I decided that I had to display them so I can see them every day rather than let them sit in some box in the storeroom.

I did not want to display them like how we usually display our toys, hence I thought of framing them up like some art piece.

To do this, you would need a frame (I use IKEA's Ribba frame), a hard board (I chose blue because usually at the back of the old vintage card, blue was one of the color used as a background to showcase the figures), paper clips and masking tape.
Oh, and of course your Star Wars vintage figures. (40 in all)

IKEA's Ribba frame (with depth)


Hard board


Paper Clips


Bend the paper clip to the shape shown in the below picture.



Poke the paper clip throught the board from the backside of the board.
You will most likely have to create a hole first. In this instance, I used a nail.
This will create a holder for your figures.



Enforce the paper clips with masking tape at the back



With the "holders" in place, you can place your figures nicely onto it.



All done!
A Star Wars "Masterpiece"!





22 comments:

LEon said...

Way good idea!!

chrismandesign said...

really nice display frame/cabinet !!!... i been thinking about some nice cabinets for my diecast vehicles, since they’re growing in number and getting a lot of dust... i’m waiting for some extra money to clarify my ideas LOL... =)

desmond said...

Bro..i love your idea here..very nice display!

César Cantú said...

Lovely. I'll save this.

Thanks a lot!

César Cantú said...

Lovely! Thanks for this! I'll keep it around.

Jcee said...

You are one creative collector!

Man now I am thinking what I can put to display like that lol, looks very cool!

Little Plastic Man said...

I love displaying the toys just as I love collecting them!

Reis O'Brien said...

Wow! What a brilliant idea! That display look incredible! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Little Plastic Man said...

Always nice to share with my fellow toy collectors!

cosmicbaby said...

Really really excellent idea! I may just duplicate your idea for my playmo figs! You should also consider using compress foam & pin needle (from sewing). The same 2 material I use to pin up my 1/6 guns
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b323/cosmicbaby/Blog/Guns04.jpg

Little Plastic Man said...

I did consider using pin needle but I could not find a pin needle that is short enough to fit in the frame plus I dont lke the ball at the end of it...:)
Damn a great idea to put playmo figures!!!! IDEA!

Unknown said...

Really a creative idea to 'Hang' your figures! It looks nice and tidy.

Dave said...

Great idea. Clean, simple, cheap and elegant.

Unknown said...

This is a great idea! And you have a nice collection of vintages.

Vintage Star Wars said...

Awesome post man thanks for share :-)

Dennis aka Katsuden said...

Great idea and space savy!

Unknown said...

Hi brilliant idea. Do you know a suitable ikea frame for 96 figures, also what measurement are the gaps between the clips for the figures and the spacing, lastly the blue hard board looks great where did you get it from? Thanks Adam

Little Plastic Man said...

Hi Adam, as i far as I know, there is no Ikea frame that can fit 96 figures. The gaps between the figures is up to u. It depends on how many figures you want to frame. I think I used around 1cm. The board I got from Popular in Singapore. I guess can Stationary shop would sell such board.

Rockford T. Davies said...

Hey thanks a ton for posting your process! I followed it for some of my SW figures and then decided to branch out into a variety of figs! I made 10 boxes with everything from MUSCLE men to TMNT and MOTU. I'm really happy with how they turned out.

Take a look if you are interested! http://www.rockydavies.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/nerd-main-wall.jpg

Little Plastic Man said...

Damn dude...freaking cool. What frames did you use...my Ikea frames definitely can't fit a centurions figure.

Unknown said...

hi, do you have any idea how i could adapt your idea using the ribba frame to display my kinder toys collection, since they are tinier and do not have arms that could rest on the paper clips? thanks!

Little Plastic Man said...

Hi Cora

Kinder toys come in many varieties. Not sure how it will work. You can email me at xiongatoz@gmail.com and maybe we can discuss...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails